Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fixing Broken Hearts

If you've been reading here for a little while, you may remember hearing about my friend B, and the struggles her husband has been having with co.nges.tive he.art fai.lure.

Well, K, the husband of one of my oldest and dearest friends, B, is back at Col.umbia Presb.yterian Hospital, at the top of the list for a heart transplant, after several years, and the highest of technology to keep him alive with conge.stive heart f.ailure. The technology is starting to reach its limit and K will be in the hospital until he receives a new heart.

Let me say it again: He will not leave the hospital until he has a new heart. Even though he is at the top of the list, K has a difficult blood type to match, which makes the process more difficult.

Seeing as this is not something you can just go donate, or get tested for, I'm asking that everyone who is an organ donor to let their loved ones, especially their health care proxy that they want their organs donated, even if it says so on their driver's license (as these can get separated in an accident). Make it clear to those who can make those kinds of decisions for you.

I know this is not something people want to think about, especially because donating a heart means that some family has lost a loved one. Should the worst happen for you or someone you love, this could be the one positive outcome of a horrific loss.

I love B & K, I feel helpless, and I would give them my own heart if I could. In the meantime, they wait, K in the hospital, and B caring for their two little boys.

All I can do is try to raise some awareness of the importance of organ donation. I'm going to try to post some links with information about organ donations here and in the sidebar.

Thanks for reading, and keeping B & K in your thoughts.

5 comments:

k@lakly said...

Keeping them in my thoughts. What a sad and awful thing for all of them.
xxoo

Heather said...

How heartwrenching. Sending peaceful thoughts towards them and hoping for good news soon.

Amy said...

My thoughts and prayers are with K. and his family. Hoping that a heart comes his way soon. Hoping that the person/family that gives the heart realizes what a great gift they are offering another. Hoping everyone finds peace thru this journey of theirs.

c. said...

I will, absolutely.

Aunt Becky said...

Keeping everyone in my thoughts. I'm a registered organ donator as is Daver.