Thursday, December 3, 2009

Further thoughts.

This guy is really bright, very passionate about his topic, and seems to think he is very experienced (despite his young age) in spiritual struggles. In some things, he was actually insightful. In others? Um, no. Sometimes writing about this, processing it, helps. Uh yeah, blog? journal? 15 years in writing groups?

I think he actually learned from my writing about IF and how it actually is a medical condition (i.e. that you can meditate as much as you want, but that's not going to make my blood clot correctly or keep my cervix from opening on its own). he likes to talk about equity and privilege; in mentioning the different directions I may want to go in pursuit of this line of research, I talked about privilege. As in, I am lucky to have 50% coverage up to a lifetime limit of $10K, Of course, one round of IVF usually costs around $15K, so it the fact that I've even gotten this far shows a huge amount of privilege, though I may now be stuck. ("I don't know what IVF means." Sigh.)

His BA was in some biomedical field, too. My eyes are rolling so much they hurt. I know IF and Pg loss is one of those subjects no one talks about until it happens to them, but holy cow. NO ONE talks about it. NO ONE knows how to think about it, or talk about it, or, god forbid, death, let alone baby death.

Anyway.

Sorry to rant.

*****
So, I'm really excited now, about pursuing this research. This project I"m working on is very limited (strictly in academia due to my course), but I think it's going to get pretty big -- wide and deep, especially considering the wonderful, amazing responses from my dear fellow DBMs out there. I'm sorry you are here, but I'm so glad to know you. I think it really says something that so-called educated people are out there oblivious, and there are so many of us who want our story heard, understood. We are an amazing community.

4 comments:

Michele said...

It never ceases to amaze me how much education needs to go around. People really just dont know...

Julia said...

Want me to beat him up? I am in that kind of mood...

And I am happy to do it intellectually or physically-- your choice, really. Though I am sure, you've got the intellectual part covered.

AnxiousMummyto3 said...

I think what you're doing sounds amazing and I can't wait to hear more about it. There is no doubt that those outside our community have.no.idea. That is just so frustrating! Good on you for doing this :)

loribeth said...

Two good books for you by academic women that link to the topics of motherhood, identity & pregnancy loss:

* Mardy S. Ireland: "Reconceiving Women: Separating Motherhood from Female Identity"

* Linda L. Layne: "Motherhood Lost: A Feminist Account of Pregnancy Loss in America"

Looking forward to seeing the results of your work!